May 1, 2007

Faithfulness

It's 10:00 p.m., I'm sitting next to Ian in his new room at home and I have never seen him this alert. He has had a great day at home- he's napped but he's also been very aware of what's going on. In fact, he's watching me very intently right now. I painted mine and Lydia's nails yesterday. I don't usually wear nail polish. I held my hand up to Ian and asked him if they looked too girly. He gave me a very deliberate blink. Then I asked if I should take the nail polish off- same response. I know he doesn't like nail polish in "real life" and it means he still has raging opinions- all good signs.

It's great to have him here, to be able to say good night and good morning to him and it already feels natural. There are also new challenges and the temptation to fear. God's strength is perfected in these weaknesses though and his grace is sufficient for us. "Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow" from Great is Thy Faithfulness has been in my head all day. God provides us with the strength we need for each day. He will show us how to care for Ian and refresh us when we are weary. It's a good lesson in clinging to the cross.

Thank you all for praying with us. Please continue to pray that staffing would be provided and that Ian would continue to respond to us. We can already see a difference in him. Please pray that that continues.

Larissa

P.S. The picture of Lydia was taken while she was staying with family friends just after the accident when we were all living in the hospital. She couldn't be happier to have her big brother home again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Larissa,

I could hardly wait to get on this morning to see how things are going! Just as I suspected...I can't imagine Ian being home and not giving his opinion. Did I read this on your blog or on one of the others?..."God would sooner cease to be than cease to be faithful." Spurgeon

I love you guys! I'm going to go pray.

Kathie

Anonymous said...

He's home with you! I can't imagine the difference. Less traveling, more hands-on care, and more interaction with the family. "Surely goodness and mercy will follow us all the days of our lives." It is true, and we see it, and yet desperately need it! Praying daily, and hourly sometimes. You are never far from my thoughts.
Gretchen