Jan 5, 2010

I come by the blood,
I come by the cross,
where your mercy flows
from hands pierced for me,
for I dare not stand
on my righteousness
my every hope rests
on what Christ has done,
and I come by the blood

The gospel should pervade every part of our lives. I think we often tend to compartmentalize the gospel, trusting that God has forgiven our sins because of Jesus' death on the cross, but then not recognizing how that does and should affect every decision, every thought, every part of our being.

Our every hope for marriage rests on what Christ has done. We are both entering this marriage with extreme weaknesses, difficulties and challenges that most marriages never experience. But we have hope. We have hope because the gospel affects everything about our lives. And we have everything we need for life and godliness through Christ. Our affection for each other and therefore our marriage cannot thrive outside of the gospel. So we are hoping and trying to enter into this knowing that we stand on nothing else other than Christ. We are so weak but we have a great God, who works way beyond what we can understand.

I can only imagine how this makes way more sense to Steve now than it does to us.

Thank you for praying. We are so thrilled to get married.

I&L

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

You two are both so very blessed and it is awesome to see how close you are to God!

Anonymous said...

I will say to you; as I say to my relatives and friends when they marry.
Make your marriage a "love triangle":
Ian, Larrisa and Jesus Christ!!

If you live that way, you will have a wonderFULL life together.
Both of you have been blessed by God, and my prayer is that those blessings continue. That Ian makes more and more progress and that your lives will continue to be a blessing to all those who know you (and those of us who don't know you personally).
With daily prayers, Rene

Hall Family said...

What a great God we have! We are rejoicing in this present demonstration of His perfect goodness to the two of you.
love,
the halls
Pr. 3:5, 6

The Silent Reader said...

Congratulations! It's so exciting to see how God's hidden will is slowly being revealed through your lives.

I've been following your blog for over two years now, and I feel like I almost know you and Ian through Christ.

(Sorry if I've been somewhat of a "silent reader," but I'm not one to comment a lot. I'd rather "listen." I do enough talking as it is :D)

Again, congratulations! I'm so excited for you two!

Blessings in Christ.

Anonymous said...

What wonderful faith the Lord has given to you! May He continue to bless and strengthen and heal you! I am so happy for you.

Anonymous said...

We are thrilled for you! :)

M&A

Esmeralda said...

Mega excited for you. You are a perfect match. Praying much for you...do you have a date?

Liz, UK

BoldLion said...

Beautiful! Praying for you all!

Hungry to eat His Word,
'Guerite ~ BoldLion

Anonymous said...

My prayer is that you'll get to live out the gospel in front of your kids!
C-

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I knew this moment would come! Although your marriage will come with great sacrifice, it will be blessed with an abundance of blessings.
Prayers always
P.S. When is the big day?!

Lisa said...

When is the big day?

Anonymous said...

So true what you posted, Rene.
Interesting how these Bible verses start off with TWO, but end up with THREE:
Ecc 4: 9-12 says "Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up! Again, if two lie together, they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone? And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him—a threefold cord is not quickly broken."

Larissa and Ian, I know that you are resting on Christ!

Still Praying.

Mary Ann K.

Anonymous said...

Ian and Larissa
Yes challenges are ahead but you have enormous strengths, I am certain that you have the blessing of God and Indeed God is great. I agree that all of this may makes more sense to Steve than to us, because Steve is with God and he is getting all the messages and blessings directly from God. I am certain also that Steve shares your happiness by this news of your marriage. I miss Steve like Crazy, but I am more comforted that he is in heaven and wishes that I can follow his footprints and have the strong faith that he had. Once again, we are soooooooo happy for you and wish you all the best as you are entering your new life together. Please keep us updates on the date for the big day. God bless you.
Azad

Anonymous said...

I hope that you wouldn't mind, but what you have said about marriage has synthesized my thoughts so well and I would like to use it on the back of the programs for my wedding ceremony.