Apr 12, 2007

Riveted to Scripture


We continue to pray for the infection in Ian's eye. They put a patch over the right eye, the one that's infected, just so he won't rub it and make it worse. The installation of the sidewalk and driveway has still not begun because of the weather. Apart from those two major things, there are smaller things that need to be finished up, though he could move in if he could get into it.

In a conference message, David Powlison used an analogy that helps me understand what I have to do as I walk through these difficult days with Ian. He said that our worst experiences of suffering and difficulty have to be riveted to Scripture.

Rivets secure two pieces of metal together that then form a functional unit. The only picture I have of riveting is when gutters and downspouts are riveted together. When one is riveted and sealed to another, they maintain their shape and hang together, and water flows where it's supposed to flow.

If I fail to understand my circumstances in light of Scripture and to embrace the truth of Scripture, I'm going to be anxious and in despair. That's where my thoughts and emotions naturally go, though. My thoughts that would naturally lead me into self-pity and anxiety need to be directed upward to God who has been merciful to me, a sinner, and riveted to the truth of Scripture that God is still in control. I'm called to focus moment by moment on the One who will help me. I'm called not to worry about tomorrow. If I can daily remind myself of the truth of Scripture, I will not only be strengthened, I might actually be a channel for God's grace to flow to others. How hard it is to reign in my thoughts and emotions! I'm noticing that's a common theme now in our posts, but how crucial it is. Help me, Lord.

Fear not, I am with thee, O be not dismayed,
For I am thy God and will still give thee aid;
I’ll strengthen and help thee, and cause thee to stand
Upheld by My righteous, omnipotent hand.

- How Firm a Foundation -

Steve

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was looking at John 11 today, reading the story of Lazarus. And I was thinking about Lazarus's sister, Mary.

They had asked Jesus to come when Lazarus was sick, and He stayed where He was.
And Lazarus dies. They burry him without Jesus. A day goes by. No Jesus. Another day. Still no Jesus. Another day. Another day.

He finaly comes. What does Mary do? "She fell down at His feet, saying to Him, 'Lord, if You had been here, my brother would not have died.'"
Mary was weeping, mourning, emotional, maybe even angry. But at the same time, she goes to the place that is most natural for her to go: Jesus's feet. That's where she would always sit.

And what does Jesus do? He weeps. He cries with her. Then He goes to the tomb and He tells them, "Did I not say to you that if you would believe you would see the glory of God?"
And then he woke Lazarus up.

Praise God that He has already saved Ian from death, spiritual and physical.
It is a long wait. We struggle with our hearts, but thanks for reminding us to believe that we will see the glory of God, and for reminding us to stay at His feet, struggling heart and all.

Alicia Joy LeBlanc

Anonymous said...

"If I can daily remind myself of the truth of Scripture, I will not only be strengthened, I might actually be a channel for God's grace to flow to others."

Steve, I cannot imagine the struggle that you endure; the struggle that God has lovingly ordained for His glory and your good. But know this: as I daily read this blog, you all continually remind me of the truth of scripture. In doing so you all function as a very significant channel for God's grace to flow to me. Judging from the many similar comments I have read, I am not alone.

Continue to rivet yourselves to God's word and to each other. "Maintain your shape and hang together", so glory and grace flow where they are supposed to flow.

We pray for Ian and we pray for you all - many times each day. God, the Ruler of the weather and all other details, will have His way. And His way is good, regardless of our perceptions.

"May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy, giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light." Colossians 1:11-12

Anonymous said...

Wow! I was blessed by reading the comments today from Alicia and John as well as what Steve blogged. Let's continue to encourage one another as we pray for Ian. -tim