Dec 4, 2006

Faith and Submission

Ian had a busy day of therapy and visitors today, and he was sleeping soundly when I visited him later at night. I read in his journal that he was smiling for Jen Grover and moving his arms. I've also noticed that he is moving more even while he is sleeping, which is pretty cool.

Our pastor, Mark Altrogge, gave a very encouraging message yesterday based on the first chapter of Luke when the angel Gabriel visited Mary and gave her the news that she would conceive a child- but not just a child, the son of God. Of the many encouraging and applicable truths conveyed, a few have really stuck with me.


These few verses tell us a lot about the trinity, and also give glimpses of who Mary was. Mary was born a sinner in need of grace but God poured out His favor on her. She wasn't royalty, she was a young, average if not poor girl, but God chose her to give birth to Jesus. None of us were royalty before we were saved, but God still poured out His favor on us and continues to do so.

Also, God is all-powerful. Nothing is too hard for him. He allowed both Mary and Elizabeth to become pregnant. There is nothing in us that he can't change. I think about how He changed my heart when He saved me- if He can do that, surely He can change other people's hearts and He can definitely heal Ian's brain. He can change us instantly.

Lastly, Mary didn't question Gabriel when he gave her this "astonishing announcement." She responded with faith and submission. How I long to be like that, to respond in faith and say "my life is yours, whatever you have for my life is best because you are my king." We should all desire to respond to trials with faith and submission, trusting in God's sovereignty.

I pray that as each of you walks through trials, you can respond in faith and submission. Thank you, Mark, for allowing God to use you to teach us such great lessons.

-Larissa

No comments: