Jun 4, 2007

Ian would always challenge me with the question "what are you believing about God right now?" What better way to get at the root of sin. I confess that I have been allowing myself to believe untrue thoughts about God lately- thoughts of unbelief and thoughts lacking faith in God's ability to heal Ian. What a constant battle, every waking hour, to remind myself of the sovereignty of God. But that's how it is with all sin. We have to constantly battle with ourselves to fight the very impulses that try to rule us. (Romans 7:15-20) How this battle shows me though what a debtor to mercy I am. Every step that I take is filled with God's grace and as I live, I become more and more indebted to His mercy.

God has shown much mercy on Ian in the past eight months. Over the past few days, he has given us many signs that he's with us. He is reaching out for our hands, he pulled my arm around his neck so I would be hugging him, he holds Lydia when she is sitting on his lap. It seems like daily he is showing us how much he cares for us, which is very, very sweet.

"This is God's universal purpose for all Christian suffering: more contentment in God and less satisfaction in self and the world. I have never heard anyone say, 'The really deep lessons of life have come through times of ease and comfort.' But I have heard strong saints say, 'Every significant advance I have ever made in grasping the depths of God's love and growing deep with Him has come through suffering."
-John Piper

Thank you all for praying...

Larissa

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

God bless you, Larissa!
Great post and what a quote from John Piper!
In the colloquial:
Ain't that the TRUTH?!

Still praying!

Mary Ann K.

Anonymous said...

Dear Larissa,
Thank you for sharing. "What are you believing about God right now?" What a powerful question that we need to ask ourselves and those around us. I think of the man in scripture that said, "Lord I believe; Help Thou mine unbelief!" God is so good and so faithful that He has given us His Word that we can read and meditate on to know who He is and what He's like. He is Creator, Savior, Deliverer, Provider, Healer..... He is good, kind, merciful, just, righteous, all-wise, all-knowing, all-powerful. He is more than able and more than enough..... My prayer for you today is that you experience in great measure His sustaining grace as He works all things out according to His will and good pleasure for your lives. As Mark shared in the message this past Sunday, God's glory shines forth more glorious through the storm. God has been, is being, and shall been shown glorious in your lives!
In His Love with prayers,
Chris P.

Anonymous said...

I know the battle. We are awaiting some test results for Livi, which could be good or bad. I was battling the anxiety of what we might learn and was struggling to even pay attention while reading a psalm this AM. The first line was Lord, you are my strength. didn't even get past that line and God spoke and let me know He knows the results, good or bad and is still in control. I was flooded with peace...I wish I could stay it has lasted all morning. It doesn't and thus the battle flares again. Truly, it is a moment by moment struggle in dependence. I pray for yours daily. Love, GLA

Anonymous said...

I just want to encourage you that many are praying that Ian will wake soon. And that even though time has passed since his accident, there are many who are continuing to ask the Father on Ian's behalf and are eagerly waiting to see or hear the wonderful news. Love, Janet Shilling

Anonymous said...

I have been following along with Ian's story ever since a friend asked me to pray. I'm praying for you, Ian, and his family. God sure is merciful...I have a friend Steve who is in a very similar condition, and I know that at times I wonder why he hasn't been completely healed yet...and then I check myself and realize God has done so much already, how dare I question what He's doing. Reading your posts inspires me to keep on and to never give up so thank you for that. I know God has a plan for Ian, and for Steve even though we may never fully understand what it is. Keep trusting, believing, and praying!
Also, I'm a nursing student and finish next May. I know in earlier posts you were still looking for a few more helpers, I do have experience in this area, so if you are still in need of help you can contact me at vballgirlnic5@aol.com
and if not...my area of "help" will be my continuous prayers.
Take Care,
Nicole

Anonymous said...

Isn't it nice to know that God's timing isn't our timing??? We think that He is slow because of our point of view, but He isn't. His love and compassion WILL heal Ian and we will continue to stand in prayer and faith for Ian, you, Larissa, and his family no matter how long it takes.
Pat Burns

Anonymous said...

Larissa,

My favorite part of your post is,
"What a constant battle, every waking hour, to remind myself of the sovereignty of God. But that's how it is with all sin. We have to constantly battle with ourselves to fight the very impulses that try to rule us." Everything about God is counter intuitive to man; and visa versa. He is opposite of everything that we, by nature, are. We're ruined by our cravings and impulses, and we need a Savior and a Deliverer every single day. Our hearts are powerful and deceptive, but we have a far more powerful Ally in our fight against unbelief and sin.

Thank you for sharing your temptations with us. They are so common to every one of us, and the solution you give is what I need to practice every second; remind myself that my God is sovereign and wonderfully good.

Thank you Larissa. I love you. I miss seeing your face and hearing your voice.
kristi